Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mike Burgner's "Yes" to the 4th Power

It is our philosophy that an exercise must utilize "yes to the 4th power."

YES 1: Is the exercise ground based and are you standing up while performing the exercise?
YES 2: Is the exercise a free weight exercise?
YES 3: Does the exercise work multiple muscle groups and surround multiple joints?
YES 4: Is the exercise performed in an explosive manner?



Pretty cool. I'm willing to compromise on cable stacks. I also have some flex on Bench Press, but, I don't do it anywhere as often as I used to. I also think there is value to suspended exercises like bar dips, pull ups, hanging knee raises, and the like. Certainly they work strength, but also, coordination and balance and those are as valuable as is explosiveness. Mr. Burgner, I think leaves room for these aberrations as well, but, as a minority, say 25% of ones exercises. Certainly my own training has been headed in this direction.

No comments: