Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19, 2009

Yoga. Freaking room was close to 100 degrees! WE SHOULD HAVE GONE OUTSIDE! Whatever. I guess you pay top dollar at some wellness centers for "Hot Yoga" I got it as a benefit so what do I have to fuss about.

Yoga is such an ambivalent thing for me. By the 45minute mark I'm going freaking nuts, maybe I am ADD or something, but, I just start to fume at the pace. Fortunately, this leader goes into the Warrior poses at about that point so there is some break, but, man.... I guess that is why I like the Dynamic Mobility, Yoga hopped up on a double latte, American Yoga. Probably the same problem I have with Chess and why I enjoy sparring. Sparring is a lot like chess on speed. Dynamic mobility is Yoga on speed. Works for me. All whinyness aside, the Yoga leader came up with a really good lunge stretch that I'm going to add to my collection. It is really deep so not one that can be done with movement.

I like what Chip is doing here:

YouTube - Quick mobility play


And no I'm not a Chip groupy now. I think he and Xfit are on the same continuum just at different ends and it is a continuum that I enjoy. I happen to think he and Glassmen talk past each other and I think they both have a sense of elitism about their own brand. But, I think wisdom is where you find it and if you are smart enough to pick it up for yourself.

I had to take the first born to Soccer pre-season second session this evening so I thought I'd get a work out in. Final analysis, I don't really enjoy working out by myself anymore. I've got to recapture that again -- even if the intensity is lower I think it is an occasion to play around and try new stuff. Being social is important, but, being alone is too. Had to wear the vest. I suspect that if the stupid thing hadn't cost so much I wouldn't feel compelled to wear it all the time... ok, I don't wear it when I'm brushing my teeth, and "P" won't let me wear it to bed.

Warm Up, 30 yards or so and jog back
Forward skip backward arm circles
backward skip forward arm circles
Carioca, l and r
Forward shuffle, 2l and 2r
Backward shuffle, 2l and 2r
Backward push

Dynamic Moblity 5, or 5 on a side
Tiger push ups
Crucifixion
Scorpions
Superman walk
High knee walk to lunge to quad stretch
knee out walk to lunge w/double reach to quad stretch
Kick walk

Jump Circuit, 3x10
Jump Tucks
Rocket Girls
Speed Skaters
Plyo Pushups, 5 (since the work out was written with a lot of pushups)

Work
3 rounds
alternate hand kettlebell swings, 25#, 20 reps
sandbag thrusters, 45

Burpee suicide, 1x, sometimes I just look old when I try to run

Clock face lunges 3x
Spectrum squats 2x
walking lunges 20 yards, 2x

rock dead lift, 3-3-3-3-3-3-3
I found a really cool rock that was heavy and the right size and shape. Doing the Sisyphus thing.

I had hoped to meet "DP" for this work out but his life is too complicated this week. Actually, I've been trying to get together with he and "MS" for a while. I think they are a little intimidated. On one hand I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but, in truth I'm just a tired middle aged guy, nothing really intimidating, I sweat like a horse, and my heart pounds up in my throat, my vision closes down, and I have to defeat the negative self talk just like everybody else.

No comments: