Friday, October 30, 2009

Catching up

I've been working out, though, a little less regularly. Life is demanding a lot of my attention and so blogging is falling in priority.

I will admit to some soul searching, logged earlier, in a post about goals. There I noted that with my waning interest in martial sports, I was looking for other motivations for on going fitness activities. Recently I stumbled across a couple of book titles that caught my attention.

The Outdoor Athlete The Outdoor Athlete by Courtenay Schurman

I am pleasantly surprised by both books. The layout and production values of the first are better then the second. But, the information in the second has more re-read value. Both will take the interested and self-motivated person away from what they learned in High School Physical Education, or on the Body Building websites and towards a more functional fitness. I like very much that these books are not blinded by the notion of "sport specific" fitness and instead are looking for functional and adaptable fitness. That said both have detailed information for folks who engage in specific outdoor activities, and at various levels of intensity. Both are worth an inter-library loan, and the second, to my mind is worth the cost of a used copy to have around for reference.

No comments: