Monday, August 30, 2010

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense


Hmmm? I'd heard of this idea back in the 80's, touted by some alternative lifestyle folks, but, never gave it much thought and it seemed to disappear. Then a commenter here, reminded me of this notion. I'm not certain what I think about it, but, it seems debatable.

When you read the Wolfe Clinic suggested list of foods... most of the "alkaline foods" are foods that are good for you and you should just eat. Most of the "acid foods" are foods that can be good for you but that you should eat in moderation. That is if you are eating a zone plan, you are approximating the "alkaline/acid" recommendations, anyway. But apparently the goodness is for a different reason -- just plain good nutrition, perhaps?

4 comments:

Daniel Holt said...

Here's my rebuttal to your response:

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/DanthemanHolt/2010/09/03/acidalkaline/

Sisyphus said...

Dan,

I don't think I was really coming down on the issue. Rather, I was pointing out that it was conflicted, and, wondering if it was a matter of changing ones ph, or, rather providing the nutrients the body needs for self regulation. Which, in fact seems to be most of what your post is about. I kinda like what Mistress Krista is wrangling with here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/fuck-supplements

as I'm fairly suspicious of that whole industry -- not that our food supply isn't without compromise, but, our bodies at least, by default, know what to do with food.

How about this, rather than a rebuttal, lets think about it as a conversation where each of us has pieces of the truth and together we can make some sense of this life.

Too, thank you for the link to your blog.

Daniel Holt said...

I have a acid/alkaline book I've never read that I may go back and read a little. It's probably useless. Otherwise I found certain web-site links I've posted on my blog and the Weston A. Price Association to have concrete opinions on acid/alkaline. There is also some interesting information from the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing. I added more information to my comments section of that blog article. Bring up something about acid/alkaline you feel is relevant.

I agree with that article, and I don't take in synthetic or isolated multivitamins nor do I recommend them. The supplements I do recommend on my blog are from whole food sources. Except for the sport enhancement stuff. Microhydrin isn't natural but it is interesting. It's best to get the whole foods rather than getting them in supplement form, and if you can do that then go ahead.

Daniel Holt said...

Here's a good list:

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/acid_alkaline_foods_list.html

ALKALIZING MINERALS
Calcium: pH 12
Cesium: pH 14
Magnesium: pH 9
Potassium: pH 14
Sodium: pH 14

I don't follow this list personally, too much work. I've created my own system instead. It doesn't list the acidifying minerals. Too bad.