Thursday, October 10, 2013

10/10/2013

Yoga.

My hips are rubbish.  Comes, I suspect, from sitting down most of the day.

I'm struggling with motivation.  In the bad old days recovering from injury and trying to get conditioned for martial arts were motivating.  A side effect was that I could do the outdoor activities, canoeing, hiking, and so on that I wanted to do.  As I mentioned work has kind of consumed me of late, but in a perverse inversion of priorities.  What am I training for is a nagging question.

As RAM pointed out his participation in conditioning activities has taken on a social quality.  For many of us this is new.  We might have a work out partner or a spotter in the gym but workouts were largely solo events.  In the past a core group of us motivated each other to get to the gym during the noon hour but that tradition has eroded.  For a while I was quite active with group workouts.  Those were a mixed bag in some ways.  The commitment, camaraderie, the encouragement all had value, but sometimes, the imagination and fun was lost to routine, and when I was in good shape sometimes the intensity was too low.  Don't get my wrong I like all those people it is just that group work outs like individual work outs have limits as well.

I'm not sure that I'm making a point, but rather, marking the inertia, marking the crisis of motivation.  

No comments: