Sunday, December 15, 2013

Wellness measurement

At work we have a new wellness program and our shared insurance premiums are reduced for the employee if we fall within the acceptably healthy range on 5 measurements. The metrics are height/weight ratio, sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and smoking. I was in the acceptable range on all, but of note were my blood pressure at 100/70 and total cholesterol at 165 with HDL at 69. Both have dropped significantly over the last 2-3 years. I take half the  recommended dose of red yeast rice for the cholesterol and no meds for blood pressure. It has dropped since I started meditation a year ago. My cholesterol  reading  5  years ago was in the mid-200s. I have lost about 25 lbs since then and I think regular exercise has contributed. I like the idea of improving habits rather than taking medication. Have to work on the wife who didn't fare as well.

No comments: