Friday, March 20, 2009

3 Weeks, nearly, of eating in the Zone

I promised myself I would not do the old guy thing and talk about what I ate and when I pooped in every update to this silly blog. None-the-less I think it is timely to review the progress. Basically, I've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. 7 of that was in the first week and I think it was a lot of fluid and drek my body wasn't eliminating. I've built Saturday in as a cheat day. I'm weighing in each morning and I'm seeing 1 to 1.5 lbs of variation. In truth this is loss is faster than I wanted. Folklore says the faster it comes off the harder it is to keep off. True perhaps if one is dieting, instead of changing the way they eat which to my mind is what the Zone is about. That said, I can see a difference in my subcutaneous fat again not really where I want to see the loss. I don't have a big gut, but, like many guys I store my fat there. From what I've read that is the hardest to lose, the body clings to that reserve, oddly, it is bad for a guy to have that fat. So it makes sense that I'd burn subcutaneous first, but, sense isn't always what we want. A friend more experienced with the Zone, and a solid athlete, has suggested that for the same 16-17 block plan, that breaking it into 5, 3 block meals and 1-2 block snack and only going 2-3 hours between. I will say that timing the before workout meal is tricky, and it is a long push to get through the afternoon with a 4,4,2,4,2.

So, all that without a single meal plan or a schedule of BM. I do wish I hadn't made eating the Zone the last piece of my fitness plan, but spilt milk; at least I can encourage other folks to consider it first.

No comments: