Thursday, August 6, 2009

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

Other parts of my life have taken over during the last 2 weeks. This week; Monday and Tuesday, and today, Thursday, I've been able to, or will, get workouts in, and hopefully tomorrow as well. I really needed the rest and didn't realize it. So that has been good, but, I'm starting to miss the routine. In a recent blog post Chip Conrad made the interesting observation:
Yet this seems to be a big trend in training right now, doing a bunch of challenging, but very random, workouts hoping for some kind of grand final result. Even ‘general fitness’ is still a category that deserves a modicum of structure in it’s training.
I feel this is something I've observed and struggled with mostly since turning on to CrossFit. Though in honesty what we are doing is more like what CATZ Sports is about with CrossFit-ish stuff on the other days. And to their defense they do have a 12 day cycle and if you follow their plan they have sets of goals for the 10 areas of fitness that they define. With my fading interest in combat sports, I've lost that focus on my work outs. So, I've got to reset and identify goals and future trajectory. "General fitness" is kinda boring as a category, so, I've got to find something more stimulating. This kind of thing is basically what the folks slogging on the ergs are aiming at "general fitness" although I do a greater variety of stuff perhaps I'm slogging too, just not as obviously. I did nail a big goal not to long ago with the personal record in the Clean and Jerk. But, that was really tough on my shoulder too, so, I've got some rehab to accomplish. Rehabilitating the knee after surgery was also a big goal, but one that is largely accomplished.

The Maine Fittest Games went off last weekend. I'd say the event was a success from what I can see from the blog sites. However, I was disappointed that so few people participated and that none of the folks I work out with did it. Perhaps, I should really encourage folks to aim for next years games. Admittedly the workouts will be different next year. And that might be a good thing. I was surprised to see the times that folks were pulling down -- I think everything was done in an hour. Somehow I had imagined a day long event. Perhaps, next time there might be a way to emphasize teamwork, and to stretch the event out. Perhaps, a heavy workout at the old Rt 27 landing on Snow Pond, then canoe the length of the lake to the Oakland landing, from there run to Littlefields gym, do another work out, then perhaps do something like a round of archery that demands accuracy, and maybe finish with a 3rd workout. Finally, have a big picnic, pig roast or something on the front lawn, maybe with music, that goes into the evening -- but something that is fun for the whole family and extends the event into a day long celebration of fitness. Perhaps, it might be possible to pull Belgrade Canoe and Kayak, and a local sporting goods store into the mix in order to have the equipment.

On the fat loss front, well, I can honestly say that for now I've lost my steam. I think the plan will be to reset in September and hit it hard as we approach the holidays. "P" is still staying focused and has lost 20lbs and is feeling really good about it. She is an inspiration.

No comments: