Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Uncomfortable is Best...

I live my life by the comfort law. I wear clothing I feel comfortable in -- even when it's not flattering in the least. I've never been into name brands or overspending. My goal in life is to live comfortably, not wanting for more. Perhaps, I should reconsider this philosophy if I hope to make any real changes to my diet and exercise regimen. Comfort in a climbing shoe is not often sought after. Pain is also avoided, but uncomfortable, snug climbing shoes are necessary for properly utilizing you feet as tools to propel yourself up impossible rock faces. Maybe, the discomfort from the shoes motivates a climber to solve a bouldering puzzle so they can get their shoes off. If you're not comfortable where you're at in life, diet, exercise, school, love, whatever... you're more likely to work harder for a change. Discomfort can be a great motivator. I recently received my new Scarpa Force climbing shoes in the mail. I took my time researching this Christmas present. The shoe is made of synthetic material that doesn't stretch in the way leather does, but rather molds to your foot with use and maintains original size. The shoes I ordered were unfortunately borderline painful because the sole extends in a strap around the back of my heels that pushed into my achilles, threatening blisters within minutes of trying them on. I'm thinking a half to a full size bigger would be best, the toe box felt uncomfortable... which is good in the climbing world. Discomfort when working out is also good. I'm not encouraging people to do exercises that leave you muscles hurt or over-used, however discomfort can indicate that you're pushing your body. I have such a hard time with self-motivation at the gym because I shy away from that discomfort. If I could find a gym partner who would push my limits, work through their own, and share the discomfort with me I would be much more successful in the gym. If only I could bring my dad with me to college... Discomfort is also another motivator for eating healthier. At this point in my life, I'm unhappy with my body. I've always had a distorted image of myself, however this is the first time that I feel like I am no longer in control. I need to find a balance between school, exercise and diet. I need to learn how to channel my discomfort with my body into energy for change.

No comments: