Thursday, February 13, 2014

2/13/2014

Swam a mile. Intervals alternated breast/ free, 200 yards and 200 yards breast/free, side/free, side/free, breast/free.  I'm a little perplexed that speed doesn't really seem to be increasing even as I increase distance with faster strokes.  That aside I do feel work capacity is increasing.

Thinking about rams observations about benefits from yoga.  It does some important stuff, working out knots and limited range of motion, enhances flexibility, improves balance.  And yet I think it is part of what a person has to do towards fitness.  I think both strength and muscular endurance is limited as is work capacity in doing just yoga.  The rule I've heard some coaches throw around is a one to one ratio of stretching/yoga to other resistance or work capacity activities.  For most of us 2 hours of daily exercise is hard, really hard, to fit in the schedule.  Two a days as we called them in high school football  are hard to schedule around family, work, a social life.  I take a clue from the Iron athletes.  They swim two, run two, and ride two and rest the seventh.  If we do work capacity 3, resistance 2, and yoga 2, we can keep it all in balance.  That can be 7 days with yoga on a rest day, or 5 days with yoga doubled up.  Still a manageable schedule, manageable in terms of intensity, still difficult to schedule.

No comments: