Sunday, August 4, 2013

Solo traveler joins a team

Since I left school, my various workout schemes have all been solo and independent. Easier that way. This year my main work has been with a group of co-workers, walk-running at lunch. I have to admit that is has been motivating and very satisfying. I have made a lot of progress as have my mates, and we all get encouragement from each other. This weekend I am with my daughter who is starting a fitness business with 3 partners. It is based on group workouts, with a trainer, using timed, varied routines. It strikes me as somewhat confining, but all the participants I have spoken with are energized by the system. Also, short, high intensity workouts like these appear to have scientific support for effectiveness and are popular for their efficiency. The fitness culture has evolved a lot since my early Nautilus days. I guess I am evolving too. No man is an island or at least no man seems to want to be alone on one any  more.

No comments: