Wednesday, June 25, 2014

6/25/2014

So, yesterday evening we heard the distinctive thud of a bird hitting our bay window.  I kicked around and found my slippers and scuffled outside to see what the damage was.  A little green bird alive but ass stomped lying on the ground, open beaked panting.  I picked her up.  Her eyes were bright but if it can be said seemed unfocused, yet nothing appeared broken.  I held her for a long time.  Interestingly P was fretting about my intervening with natures course, fussing at me to put her down.  I redirected P to go get the bird book and help me figure out what kind of bird.  A couple of attempts to pass the bird off on nearby branches failed and so I just kept her in my hand.  We, P and I, figured out that I was holding an Ovenbird -- who knew.  Apparently, they build ground nests that resemble Dutch Ovens, hence the name.  Eventually I set the little bird down on a rock in the kids old sandbox and she almost immediately launched, though pretty drunkenly, through some nearby brush.  Last I saw her she seemed ok, standing steady, though perhaps not ready for long flights.

Swam today for 40 minutes.  It felt fine.  I am still a little sore from Monday.

No comments: